What type of employment contract should I use?
Your choices for an employment contract are:
- Full or part time permanent
- Full or part time fixed term or temporary
- Zero hours
- Fixed-term contracts
- Last for a certain length of time
- Are set in advance
- End when a specific task is completed
- End when a specific event takes place
Fixed-term employees must receive the same treatment as full-time permanent staff.
The ending of a fixed term contract is a dismissal in law and as such care must be taken to ensure genuine and legitimate reasons for fixed term contracts to expire.
Zero hour contracts are also known as casual contracts.
Zero hour contracts are usually for ‘piece work’ or ‘on call’ work.
- They are on call to work when you need them
- You don’t have to give them work
- They don’t have to do work when asked
Zero hour workers are entitled to annual leave and the National Minimum Wage in the same way as other employees.
There are laws against preventing workers on zero hours from working elsewhere.